I've helped friends get ribs laser cut with good success. Bob Holman in the USA produced them and he requires a CAD file in the AutoCAD .dxf or .dwg format (pretty standard). Most of the laser guys will walk you through the process of how to locate the ribs and so on.
Bob Holman is at: http://www.bhplans.com/LECPg1.html
He'll supply a .pdf file with all the information on how he needs the CAD file configured for laser cutting if you ask.
I made some F1B jigs some years ago using the following method:
-produced nice CAD file of the root, d-break and tip airfoils (I used AUTOCAD)
- sent the CAD files to a machine shop with wire EDM (electrical discharge machining) capability to cut steel templates to a high degree of accuracy.
- we offset the high cost by selling complete sets of templates to other fliers who were interested. In the end it cost us nothing! With EDM the thickness of the material being cut is irrelevant, thus it is possible to stack up many layers of steel to produce multiple copies of each template.
-it is also possible to have steel templates laser cut. But only single copies are possible (or just a few). Andriukov sells laser cut steel templates for example.
- I recently heard that there is a Hungarian source for steel templates (requires co-ordinates or CAD file) that is very reasonable (produced by Varadi for 20 Euros for a 6 piece set)..
- I arranged the templates so that the lower part of the cut could become a part of the sanding jig used to create the wing jig. Each airfoil section was rotated to the correct angle (using the bottom edge of the steel plate as reference) so that wash-out (or in) would be automatic.
- I glued a piece of high density foam (denser than Rohacell, the type used for prototype model making) to a section of Aluminum channel stock (aprox 2" deep x 6" wide by the length of the panel)
- the bottom cut-off of the steel templates were glued to the end of the foam with the bottom surface flat on the Alum channel.
- the undercamber was then sanded using a long, steel sanding bar (1/4" x 3/4" steel held vertical, edgewise)
The whole job went fairly quickly (several evenings). I vacuum bagged a layer of 0.010" soft aluminum to the top of the foam and then glued a layer of drafting mylar (with the plan plotted on the back side in reverse) using contact cement. This gave a very smooth and stable jig. I think that the aluminum surface might not be required though.
We drilled holes in the front edge of the channel at each rib location and press fit in a small finishing nail in each hole. These were used to loop 1/8" rubber strip across the wing to hold down the carbon strips. I use epoxy to glue my strips down.
To make the ribs fit perfectly to the spar and the D-box was pretty easy. I made each rib a little bit thicker than it needed to be, and glued the steel templates to the end of each panel. Then the panel was placed onto the jig using double sided tape. The wing ribs were then sanded using the steel templates and the long steel sanding bar until they were flush with the spar/D-box and the trailing edge. Simple!
Final step is to cap all the ribs.
I made an angled block that attached to the end of the jig so that I could sand the dihedral angles while the panels were still on the jigs.
Lot's of work I know, but it sure produced very nice wings at least as good as our Eastern European friends.