Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 07:10:47 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  FlyQuiet
|-+  Free Flight
| |-+  Free Flight Discussion (Moderator: mike)
| | |-+  Salisbury Plain
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Salisbury Plain  (Read 2966 times)
JefO

View Profile
« on: May 05, 2007, 02:36:48 PM »

Hi Guys / Girls,

Anyone else planning to be at the BMFA Free Flight London Gala and Club Championships tomorrow at Salisbury Plain?

Dad and I will be there (as spectators).

Be nice to meet a few other friendly faces there too.

Jef

Flatfield flying is fighting the elements. Bring it on!
mike
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 03:25:06 PM »

Hi Jef,

I was planning to go but the weather forecast is breezy with a few showers and I'm not really ready for that.  (I haven't flown a free flight model since last July.)  Next weekend is more likely for me - it's the Stonehenge Cup.  I plan to fly F3K on Saturday at Sparkes 1 and F1A on Sunday at Salisbury Plain.  (SP Saturday is F1B F1C)

regards
Mike Fantham

Typo corrected!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 08:07:13 AM by mike » Logged
Tony

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 05:52:46 AM »

I managed to pick the better of the two days for free-flight experience over the weekend. SAM35 had a fly-in on a large grass field near Ancaster and I went to see what Ian Middlemiss was flying. (Boffin from the list).

He had several models using the FlytProf electronic timing system and flew his Tom Boy in the trial Electric Bowden contest, where the aim is to get two flights of 45 seconds. Ian managed a 44.6 and a 47.2, with no one else anywhere near. Good news for both Ian and the FlytProf system.

It was a big nostalgia trip for me as I retrieved for a number of the trimming flights and walked down wind keeping track of a circling Vic Smeed designed model. Just like I used to do on Wanstead Flats in the early 1950’s.

The excellent weather was too good to miss, so I came home in the early afternoon and had a worth while DLG session at the local field.

Tony

Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire
mike
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 08:05:50 AM »

I haven't flown a free flight model since last July.

Put that right last evening.  I flew three different F1A models and a total of seven quick trim flights (30-40 secs DT).  All fine!

It rounded off a pleasant day - I finished cutting the grass at 1630 and was out at the local field by 1700 with a Long Shot.  Thermals still active.  Had a few 3 - 6 minute flights and a 19:54 - my best so far this year!  The wind was dropping so it was back home at 1830  for a drink of water and out to the Free Flight field until 2030.

And saw a Tawny Owl, pretty close to, on the way home.

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/ has it already blowing at Salisbury Plain, and forcast to increase, so I'll give it a miss this weekend.

regards
Mike Fantham
CHE

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 09:23:30 AM »

"And saw a Tawny Owl, pretty close to, on the way home."

How did you know it was going home ?

mike
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 04:36:07 PM »

CHE,

It was by the road, walking towards a tall tree, and it had an Ash key out ready...............

MF
JefO

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 08:39:00 PM »

Wow what a cracking good day it was!

Met a dozen or so rocketeers, there were male and female fliers of all ages between 11 and over 80.

One or two models went oos downwind - when the glide was sorted (yes most FAI "Space Model" classes use thermals in the same way as other freeflight disciplines).

This crowd is one really happy team.  Everyone helping everyone else, with plenty of mickey taking and leg pulling. In the blowy conditions today, there was plenty of walking too.

The competitions were very easy to understand as a spectator. Everyone was knowledgeable of the rules and willing to tell me everything I wanted to know.

They even listened to my ideas, implemented them and thanked me for my contribution (especially when this caused Mike Francies to lose a model!).

It had been my intention to look at the aeroplanes powered by towmen, ic engines, rubber motors and electric motors too, but the rocket powered fliers and their models kept my interest ALL DAY LONG.

Despite the fact that R/c is not allowed on Salisbury Plain, Dad and I both went along only interested in S8E/P (rocket powered r/c glider) but willing to put up with the boring disciplines so that we could learn from the S8E/P Guru (Mike Francies) and the effervescent Nigel Bathe. We came away enthralled with the other disciplines which turned out to be far from boring. I even bought an ARTF kit for

JefO

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 08:50:45 PM »

I managed to pick the better of the two days for free-flight experience over the weekend. SAM35 had a fly-in on a large grass field near Ancaster and I went to see what Ian Middlemiss was flying. (Boffin from the list).

He had several models using the FlytProf electronic timing system and flew his Tom Boy in the trial Electric Bowden contest, where the aim is to get two flights of 45 seconds. Ian managed a 44.6 and a 47.2, with no one else anywhere near. Good news for both Ian and the FlytProf system.

It was a big nostalgia trip for me as I retrieved for a number of the trimming flights and walked down wind keeping track of a circling Vic Smeed designed model. Just like I used to do on Wanstead Flats in the early 1950
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 08:53:28 PM by JefO » Logged

richard
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 10:41:56 PM »

That will teach me to keep an eye on the site while I'm away. We drove right through Salisbury today and I had no idea this event was on... grrrr

Richard
---------

Forum Admin
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length